Sign in to follow this  
chconline

Upgrading an old server (Timeless)

Got to love having old PCs kicking around :lol:

If you guys remember one of my old PCs, "Timeless", it's now sitting in my lab here at the University of Calgary. Here's a link to some history of this PC:

Since the parts are so old, they're worth nothing anyway. And might as well put them to use.

Original specs:

- Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Processor

- Noctua NH-U12P CPU Cooler

- Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 X48 Motherboard

- G.Skill Ripjaws-X F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD 2x4GB DDR3 RAM

- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB SOC Graphics Card

- Fractal Design Define R3 Computer Case

- OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 240GB Solid State Drive

- NZXT HALE82 750W

Some Liteon DVD burner and a Mitsumi 7-in-1 flash/floppy combo reader circa 2004 from the first PC I've ever built. Yes, it still works.

4ix0sGT.jpg

This PC has a dual 1Gbps connection to the internet courtesy of the U of C with 2 dedicated IP addresses. It previously served as my private VPN server and also runs random simulations on the side when I need it. (My main workstation has a Core i7-4790K with 32GB of RAM though). The OS is Windows Server 2016.

Lately, my GTX 570's fans decided to make weird noises. After all these years in service of running 24/7, I guess it was time to go. It doesn't sit in my room, but it still annoys the crap of my coworkers of where the PC resides :lol: Thankfully, we got an old PC we needed to get rid of thanks to a fried motherboard. Hai and I took the parts out and we managed to salvage a Gigabyte GTX 780 3GB and another 8GB of G.Skill Ripjaws-X RAM. I needed an extra system to store my backups from my research PC, so I decided to plug in a  Western Digital Red WD100EFAX 10TB Hard Drive. I was surprised it was compatible with the right Intel ICH9R drivers :yes: Well, looks like it's back for many more years of service.

Funny how 10 year old parts are still good by todays standards. Btw chc your RAM is kind of loose on DIMM 2.

Yeah, shows you the state of computing :P

Good catch, I went in and fixed it haha.

You can't boot from it, but with Intel RST 10.1 and higher it will read 10TB HDDs. For some reason, Intel doesn't have it on their site, but I found it on Dell lol. Newer versions of Intel RST is incompatible.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:51 PM, chconline said:

Yeah, shows you the state of computing :P

Good catch, I went in and fixed it haha.

:) Always look at the details.