Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
aeroLai

HP ENVY 13

Recommended Posts

Been looking for a decent laptop with pretty consumer specs, more portability, and better battery life. Was debating between the Surface Laptop, Dell XPS 13, and this one. With Microsoft's option being relatively out of date (e.g. Kaby Lake processors) and the XPS 13 commanding a relatively high price point, the ENVY 13 became my choice. Ordered it on the 18th, shipped on the 25th, and arrived on the 28th. 

ukHjM2S.jpg

ZQRbDi4.jpg

XKcDUMG.jpg

lhbJTnA.jpg

(Apologies for the last photo, lots of noise in that haha.) This is the HP ENVY 13 (13-ah0002ca), which is more of a gold finish. Otherwise, it's a standard Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD. Upon first day or two with it, it's a pretty slick device. 

CaTFhTw.jpg

The gold really shines here. This laptop lift is a pretty unique design, but quite a few manufacturers are doing this too. Otherwise, you can see there is a fingerprint sensor, followed by a tucked in a full-sized USB 3.0. This is similar to the Ethernet ports that have a pop-out cover. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice laptop! How's the cooling? My friend had an HP ENVY a couple years ago and the fan just wouldn't stop running. He eventually got a MacBook Pro instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2018 at 12:13 PM, chconline said:

Nice laptop! How's the cooling? My friend had an HP ENVY a couple years ago and the fan just wouldn't stop running. He eventually got a MacBook Pro instead.

It's pretty quiet so far. Barely ever hear the fan go.

9 hours ago, TL6MT said:

That's a sleek laptop - how's the price?

It was not too bad. For comparable specs, the Dell XPS 13 is 1500 CAD, while the ENVY 13 I got for 1000 on sale. 

Battery life also has been pretty decent, though I have not ran too much for testing purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2018 at 2:35 PM, Big Bang said:

Very nice Laptop - and guess not Apple. How is the Speaker quality?

Haha I was thinking about Macbook, but I just couldn't justify the price. Speakers get decently loud. Do not hear too much for distortion, even at louder volumes. Bass is practically zero, though this is not too surprising haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the keyboard a bit too shallow for my liking. It offers decent feedback without being too squishy so overall it's good, just no mechanical haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 8:05 PM, aeroLai said:

Haha I was thinking about Macbook, but I just couldn't justify the price. Speakers get decently loud. Do not hear too much for distortion, even at louder volumes. Bass is practically zero, though this is not too surprising haha.

Yeah MacBooks are crazy expensive. The new keyboards on the MBP feels a lot worse than the previous generation in my opinion. There just isn't enough travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:13 PM, aeroLai said:

It's pretty quiet so far. Barely ever hear the fan go.

It was not too bad. For comparable specs, the Dell XPS 13 is 1500 CAD, while the ENVY 13 I got for 1000 on sale. 

Battery life also has been pretty decent, though I have not ran too much for testing purposes.

That seems like a great price and it seems Dell, HP, Lenovo are all very competitive these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 12:01 PM, TL6MT said:

That seems like a great price and it seems Dell, HP, Lenovo are all very competitive these days.

Not to mention Microsoft. But the Surface is also expensive :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2018 at 9:36 PM, aeroLai said:

I find the keyboard a bit too shallow for my liking. It offers decent feedback without being too squishy so overall it's good, just no mechanical haha.

Is it Better than the new MacBook?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Big Bang said:

Is it Better than the new MacBook?

I've only tried the new MBP once or twice, but I can say the butterfly switches do not feel as good as the older MacBooks. As for comparing with the Envy, I think this keyboard offers a deeper travel distance, and I personally like the feel better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×