Sign in to follow this  
TL6MT

New laptop recommendations

It's almost 2019 and I'm looking to buy a new laptop for work, any recommendations? MacBook Pro? Surface Book?

What are your requirements and budget? If you want a touchscreen then the Surface Book is probably your pick. Otherwise, if you want Mac OS, then MacBook Pro is your only choice :P

I like my laptop

LOL but yeah what chc says is what I'd say - requirements and budget really matters

Assuming you're doing mostly Business/Accounting work?

How about HP EliteBook x360 1030 G3? Upgrading to a High Resolution screen is $92, https://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&urlLangId=&catEntryId=3074457345618897819&quantity=1

Features a touch screen but very expensive, MacBook Pro pricing.

Thinkpad X1 Carbon is also a good Choice if you want a good Ultraportable but you don't get the 2 in 1 Featuers.

Thanks! Budget is preferably around $2000 and used for accounting software (not very intensive) and presentations. Touch is nice but not required.

The HP as configured is close to $2500 after discounts:

Windows 10 Pro 64 - HP recommends Windows 10 Pro
    Elitebook x360 1030 G3 with Intel® Core™ i5-8350U (1.7GHz, 6MB Cache), 8GB RAM and Intel® UHD Graphics 620, vPro - 2ZV65AV
    Intel® vPro™ Technology Enabled
    ENERGY STAR Qualified Configuration
    13.3" diagonal BrightView LED UWVA IPS eDP+PSR UHD (3840x2160) Touchscreen with Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4
    Premium Collaboration Keyboard, full-size, spill-resistant, backlit; Glass ClickPad with multi-touch gesture support
    No Wacom Pen
    512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe TLC SSD
    No Near Field Communication (No NFC)
    Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo, vPro™
    No WWAN Broadband Wireless
    65-watt AC Adapter, Straight USB-C connector
    1.0m Premium Power Cord with C5 connector and fixed duckhead (Black)
    One-year limited warranty (1/1/0)
    Destination Country Localization Kit
    Intel® Core™ i5 vPro Label (G8)
    4-cell 56 WHr Long Life Battery (Internal and not replaceable by customer. Serviceable by warranty.)
    No Extended Warranty

MacBook Pro is $2K for Touch Bar and Touch ID 2.3GHz Quad-Core Processor 512GB Storage. Surface Book is $2500 too. Should I get touchscreen for $500 or Mac?

On 12/31/2018 at 10:53 AM, TL6MT said:

Thanks! Budget is preferably around $2000 and used for accounting software (not very intensive) and presentations. Touch is nice but not required.

The HP as configured is close to $2500 after discounts:

MacBook Pro is $2K for Touch Bar and Touch ID 2.3GHz Quad-Core Processor 512GB Storage. Surface Book is $2500 too. Should I get touchscreen for $500 or Mac?

Considering its 25% of the Price are you Paying for it?

On 1/8/2019 at 5:18 PM, performance_1 said:

macbook pro is the cheapest?

what a age we live in

It's been like this for a few years. I bought my MBP for the same reason in 2015 as well.

Ended up with an HP - company prefers to have Windows laptops. Thanks all!