Sign in to follow this  
TL6MT

Instant Quotes

Interesting poll this week chc - I feel like its not totally a yes/no question for me. I voted Yes because its so much more convenient than picking up the phone and calling but it depends on the industry. A lot of places don't post prices to see what the customer needs and to make sure to engage the customer so they don't go somewhere else. But if it's home improvement or other service business reputation goes a long way and if you call them and the price is OK I'm too lazy to call more people (so it works). What do you all think?

It would be nice if there are instant quotes for simpler things. I understand for home improvement items, it's hard to provide a good instant quote since there are too many variables involved. For those, I just call the top 3 reviewed places on Homestars and see who has the best price assuming they work is equivalent. But for a lot of things like the cost of tires, a lot of local retailers don't like to post their price. Some of them don't even post the price for standard service (like how much it costs to mount a tire), which is very annoying. If it's simple stuff, I'm more likely to call anyway if it's a very reputable place, but if there are no or there are poor reviews on them, I won't even bother.

Interesting. I pretty much don't go any further if I don't know the price, though I only get bothered about this when looking at cars and recently for home security things. 

Depends on the Industry.

Computers, everyone provides Price up front so No Price = No Sale.

Buying a Car then we can talk.

Gardening/Home Improvement/Etc you still have to Call.

On 12/26/2018 at 12:20 AM, aeroLai said:

Interesting. I pretty much don't go any further if I don't know the price, though I only get bothered about this when looking at cars and recently for home security things. 

I think its a bit different for something not just for a quote but also requires negotiation. Some are fixed priced and they still don't provide a quote.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:36 AM, performance_1 said:

agreed on above

the worst is if they dont even provide a quote over the phone

That's the worst.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:36 AM, performance_1 said:

agreed on above

the worst is if they dont even provide a quote over the phone

Literally had that happen to me. A certain local company refuses to provide any quotes over the phone and insists send someone over to look it over. This includes quite standard installations such as water heaters and air conditioning units. They're very well rated on Homestars and Google, but they got no business from me on anything sadly.

On 1/1/2019 at 4:46 PM, chconline said:

Literally had that happen to me. A certain local company refuses to provide any quotes over the phone and insists send someone over to look it over. This includes quite standard installations such as water heaters and air conditioning units. They're very well rated on Homestars and Google, but they got no business from me on anything sadly.

They don't provide a Ballpark estimate?

Nope, not for that company in particular. At least most companies will provide a range.