Sign in to follow this  
chconline

Review Focus Updated

Just got around and revised the Review Focus: https://aphnetworks.com/review_focus

As you guys may or may not be familiar with APH Networks' history, the document was drafted in early 2006. That was when APH Networks was still a new kid on the block and the industry has seen a sudden influx in random review websites popping up. A few of them, including APH Networks, is still around today and many of the ones who survived are respectable review websites. Many of them did not make it for better or for worse.

Many review websites at the time published poor quality reviews or lacked integrity in their publications. I remember reading a "review" on a monitor, sponsored by the manufacturer, that got 10/10 when even the reviewer himself said the monitor lacked good color reproduction and suffered from ghosting issues. In response to many of these low quality reviews, I vowed to do things differently. I wanted APH Networks to be a review website that published well-written reviews that gives credit where credit is due and criticizes where appropriate. I wanted APH Networks to be independent and influential. The Review Focus was drafted so everyone could understand my vision. Nearly a decade and a half later, I think we were successful. Our readers appreciated us for our style and honesty and the industry responded positively to our commitment to excellence and integrity. Everyone here at APH Networks is committed to this vision. Without the support of the readers and our suppliers, I don't think it would have been possible.

The document has not seen any major revisions since its initial conception. Most of them were minor grammatical or style fixes. However, over the years, I believe a major revision is due as APH Networks continue on to be one of the longest running and leading review websites in the technology community.

I would like to point out the fact that our vision has not change. The core of us has not changed. In fact, no ideas were added or subtracted from the document.

So what changed?

When I wrote the document, I was 16 years old and APH Networks was in its infancy. I saw the world very differently back then and we really needed to prove ourselves. I spent a lot of time writing the document like a forum debate, which, 13 years later, sounded kind of funny. The original document was to project evidence to who we want to become. The revised document was written from the perspective of who we already are and who we commit ourselves to continue to be.

As such, it was revised in style, brevity, organization, and language. I think it is much easier to read and understand compared to the original document. Furthermore, I think it brings out our vision with much better clarity.

So here it is, my friends: I present to you the new Review Focus. I reduced the length from 2065 words to 1008 words. This is over 50% reduction in length. That's brevity. The sections were shuffled around for better organization. Language and style? Well, I will let you read it.

Here is to many more years of APH Networks and our commitment to continue to be a website that pursues excellence in every way!

I remember when a lot of random Review websites came out in the early/mid 2000s and some were Forum members here who tried to copy APH. You can Copy but you can never get ahead!

:lol: Not going to lie but I never read the original document. Has anyone wondered if APH reviews were good?

In the beginning yes :P We used to give 8's and 9's to every product like most websites at the time. We had to revise all the numbers when someone questioned it. That person alone changed the rating system for us.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:09 PM, chconline said:

In the beginning yes :P We used to give 8's and 9's to every product like most websites at the time. We had to revise all the numbers when someone questioned it. That person alone changed the rating system for us.

I don't think I was around Long enough to Remember that. Interesting Fact.