Sign in to follow this  
chconline

QNAP Disk 3 Failed/Disconnected/Unplugged Problems and RMA Experience

Recently, my QNAP TVS-473 that I've been using since early 2017 was experiencing some problems. Basically, my 3rd drive bay kept dropping out and then the TVS-473 would crash and become not responsive. Upon restart, my RAID array would rebuild. The system detected no faults with my HDDs. Eventually, the NAS stopped starting altogether. It’s stuck on boot even with no HDDs attached. My setup involves 4x8TB WD Reds described in this article: https://aphnetworks.com/reports/the-32tb-nas-setup-striking-the-sweet-spot

The NAS would start after cooling down for a few hours, but it’s very unstable. Then I found this thread:

https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=134212

Apparently, a lot of early to mid-2017 QNAP systems had a problem with the SATA backplane design. I contacted them and quickly got an RMA after the logs were reviewed, which I believe is a known problem to them. I sent it to QNAP's warehouse in Toronto, which cost me about $30 from Calgary via Canada Post Expedited. I sent it on January 21st, and it arrived on January 24th. The system was sent back out on January 31st via UPS Standard and I got it back on February 5th. According to the documents, it says the motherboard and backplane was replaced, but somehow the integrated network controller's MAC address is the same, so I'm not sure what they mean by a replaced motherboard. The SATA backplane was definitely swapped though.

The system is now back and running again, and the RMA experience was quite positive overall. The rep was professional and easy to work with. 1 week turnaround time could be faster, but the system was repaired and everything was nicely packed and shipped back. (Y)

Unfortunately it's a common problem with a lot of 4 bay NASes made between 2015-2017. We had a few at work die in the same way but QNAP is quick to replace them.

Yeah I heard about that quite a bit too, something to do with the way the boards power up the drives. I think they changed the design so it's more reliable after late 2017.

Two weeks definitely isn't a short time, and there was certainly some inconvenience. But they got it fixed, I'm not complaining. And I didn't need to ship it to America.

On 2/19/2019 at 12:59 AM, aeroLai said:

Yeah at least you get it covered by warranty, despite paying for shipping costs :P

and hopefully wont happen again too

shipping is expensive here

I paid about $30 to ship to Markham ON using Canada Post Expedited. Wasn't too bad, but certainly don't want to pay for it again haha.

On 2/14/2019 at 11:23 PM, chconline said:

Yeah I heard about that quite a bit too, something to do with the way the boards power up the drives. I think they changed the design so it's more reliable after late 2017.

We haven't had one with the same problem yet so knock on wood.