Sign in to follow this  
chconline

A few back end, mid-end, and front end updates to APH Networks

In the last week weeks, we've been working quite hard to update the stuff that keeps APH Networks up and running. I won't bore you guys with too many details, but exciting things are going on with some plans under way :)

Firstly, on the back end:

• I didn't realize we were running very outdated versions of PHP and MySQL. Auto update was on, but it doesn't do it for major revisions and since I do all the server management, I wasn't paying all that much attention to where things are at.
  • As such, we updated everything to the latest version of PHP and MySQL, which broke a few other things that needed to be fixed on the mid end.
  • Updating the caching methods, so this along with the new versions of PHP and MySQL should deliver slightly better loading performance.

This brings us to the mid-end...

• Main content management system has been updated with supporting modules updated to their latest revisions for new PHP compatibility.
  • Some libraries also had to be updated to comply with the latest modules.
  • Forum software is updated to the latest revision
  • Configuration settings updated to improve performance

And on the front end:

• The code that supplies forum thread info to the main page was updated. There is a bug where if we delete a spammer's thread, it still shows up on the front page. This has been fixed.
  • The forum's mobile site has been fixed. The top menu bar won't show the buttons correctly because of a theming error.

What's in store?

• @thund3rPunch and I are looking into a major CMS overhaul that will bring the code further up to 2019 standards with a new design. Development is in progress right now. I know we talk about this a lot, and we're all busy at APH Networks, but I promise this is something that we're doing.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, comments, or suggestions!