Sign in to follow this  
chconline

Comparing the Audi SQ5, BMW X3 M40i, and Mercedes-AMG GLC43

Over the weekend, I've had the chance to drive all these vehicles for a comparison. It's the same trip as it was in the introduction of Aaron's review :)

Audi SQ5: A nice, well-built car with a conservative but well-assembled interior. Engine isn't that exciting, the drive is average, but it's decently quick and Virtual Cockpit is always the highlight as with any Audi. Other than that, I feel like the car is traditional in a lot of ways. Not too sporty, not too much focused on comfort, just a well-balanced day-to-day runner.

BMW X3 M40i: Excellent, communicative chassis that handles like a champ. Smooth engine and fast, but the interior is BMW: Nothing too luxurious, but it gets the job done. In terms of driving excitement, even though it has the best chassis and technically the best driving dynamics, I don't feel it's that much more exciting than the Audi. It's quite classic BMW in many ways, which is a great thing. I'm surprised I didn't like it more. Maybe I just didn't like the salesperson all that much because he keeps going on about the shade of the chrome the car has.

Mercedes-AMG GLC43: I think you all know I'm an AMG fanboy, but this is still the standout in my opinion. The interior is by far the best quality and most interesting looking, it's fast, it has a great chassis, and the engine and exhaust sounds great -- a bit immature sometimes when you hit the button to open up the AMG Performance Exhaust (A $1200 add-on), but I love the braps on downshifts. It's also the most expensive of the three.

My rankings:

1. Mercedes-AMG GLC43: Most interesting to drive with the best interior and the best overall performance.

2. Audi SQ5: It's traditional and conservative in many good ways, and the car I could live with.

3. BMW X3 M40i: I'm surprised I would rank this third as well despite driving dynamics is always the thing for me. It just doesn't feel as solid as the other two.

Car and Driver really liked the X3 M40i and had a lukewarm reception of the Audi SQ5 which I'm surprised by your rankings. I think the X3 M40i is also faster 0-60 than the GLC43 but I agree AMG has something about it that keeps bringing you back, unless you get a Tesla of course.

Lol never mind. The GLC43 felt faster, but I guess it's not a big difference. I don't think the BMW X3 M40i drives as well as the rags make it out to be.

Mercedes-AMG is just basically the European equivalent of the American Muscle - EuroMuscle?

Now I want to drive these SUVs.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:39 AM, Big Bang said:

Mercedes-AMG is just basically the European equivalent of the American Muscle - EuroMuscle?

Now I want to drive these SUVs.

With the sound to back it up too. I think most people will have GLC - X3 - SQ5 in that order.