Sign in to follow this  
performance_1

Shaw Internet Problems

i'm using the shaw 150mbps internet and it got upgraded to 300 last year

did a speed test and couldn't reach 300mbps only ~200, live chat said the hitron modem is fine and i'm connected directly to my router (using bridge) and its the same wired and wireless. they said it could be due to traffic in the area but is it really that big? anyone have the same problem?

I also have a Hitron modem running a bridge mode. Results look fine to me on a Sunday evening.

8324007097.png

What router do you have? I used to have a Linksys WRT610N and the upload port wasn't fast enough to handle the internet speed haha. I put my ASUS RT-AC68U with a Gigabit uplink port and everything is good.

Which version of DD-WRT? Try flashing it to the latest version. I know older versions (up until maybe 2017 releases) slow down the uplink port for some reason and only with Internet. I used to have my RT-AC68U and when I run it in access point mode, the uplink port has no issues running at 1Gbps, but once it's in internet router mode, it just can't reach max speed. I think it's a bug in DD-WRT. I assume it's the same issue with the WRT3200ACM, except mine is running in access point mode.

Keep in mind the WRT3200ACM has 2 partitions, so don't overwrite the stock partition. Boot it back to the stock partition (update while you're at it, there's a 2018 update) and then put DD-WRT on it. Here's some instructions:

Installing DD-WRT
1. Visit the DD-WRT FTP to get the latest BS build, pick the year (2015), pick the current build (the latest is 12-01-2015-r28397) and find your current WRT1900AC (Just press Ctrl+F, type in wrt1900ac since there's a lot of routers in the list... it begins with linksys-) and pick the model you have (it currently shows the ac, acs and v2).
2. Download the factory-to-ddwrt.img
3. Login to the router stock firmware at 192.168.1.1 (or whatever address you have it configured as) and click connectivity on the side. There will be a way to upload firmware called "Manual". Choose the img file you downloaded and click start. You will get a few warnings... just say yes and let it upload. The router will reboot eventually and you'll need to navigate back to 192.168.1.1 (The screen will show waiting... but it will be waiting forever until you renavigate).

Congratulations. You just installed DD-WRT. You can now go from there and setup your user/password and configure your router.

I read somewhere to upgrade to a newer build you should return back to the stock firmware and upgrade from there rather than using the DD-WRT interface so you don't overwrite the partition stock is on. Doing so would make it harder to recover the unit in the event of misconfiguration or if a setting bricks the unit.

Booting back to stock from other patition
When you install DD-WRT over stock, it installs on a different partition. You can use the following command by entering it in DDWRT commands on the administration tab, Telnet or SSH to determine what partition DD-WRT is running on.

Code:
ubootenv get boot_part

The last number it returns is the partition (it will return 1 or 2). In my case, DD-WRT is on partition 1, so to return to Stock, enter (If yours returns 2, put 1):

Code:
ubootenv set boot_part 2

and then reboot. You can use the command

Code:
reboot

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813

Reasons to regularly update your router. I do it every 3 months for DD-WRT. Glad everything worked out!

On 6/16/2019 at 2:38 PM, TL6MT said:

Reasons to regularly update your router. I do it every 3 months for DD-WRT. Glad everything worked out!

Lol I don't even update that often. Often times the fixes are quite trivial (other than this of course) and a lot of times you're better off resetting the settings. Clearing the settings and configuring it again takes a long time.