Sign in to follow this  
TL6MT

Nest Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Alarm

I know the chc has a Nest thermostat, just wondering what do you guys think of the alarm? I'm thinking of upgrading my house but they seem a bit steep and I'm not sure whether I need it to be internet connected. Thoughts?

I don't see why it's necessary. They're incredibly expensive and it seems to be a bit excessive haha. I would just stick with a regular smoke/CO detector. You really only need them if anything goes wrong. Why you need one that you can connect to using your phone or needs regular firmware updates is beyond me.

I tend to Disagree with the chc on this one. If you're Away from home it can give you Notifications on your Phone what is going on whether it's a small Problem or a big fire. The Pathlight night light feature is also quite useful - not that it has anything to do with Smoke detection but it's a nice side feature.

On 12/11/2019 at 12:40 AM, Big Bang said:

I tend to Disagree with the chc on this one. If you're Away from home it can give you Notifications on your Phone what is going on whether it's a small Problem or a big fire. The Pathlight night light feature is also quite useful - not that it has anything to do with Smoke detection but it's a nice side feature.

Interesting point. I'll stick with my regular detectors though haha.

Thanks - it seems the away features/internet notifications are quite convincing to me. I'll do more research to see what I want.

That's a good idea. I just use a standard BRK First Alert smoke alarm/carbon monoxide detector. I got it for $100 CAD for a 3-pack from Costco and it's hardwired into the house, all interconnected. No firmware updates, but I guess that also means no phone alerts :P

R8qUiu6.jpg

On 12/18/2019 at 10:11 PM, chconline said:

That's a good idea. I just use a standard BRK First Alert smoke alarm/carbon monoxide detector. I got it for $100 CAD for a 3-pack from Costco and it's hardwired into the house, all interconnected. No firmware updates, but I guess that also means no phone alerts :P

R8qUiu6.jpg

those arent cheap regularly

$50-60 at home depot last time i checked

Got around to installing the system - love the hallway lighting feature.