Sign in to follow this  
fzabkar

A closer look ...

I enjoy teardowns. I love to find out how things work. However, I am disappointed by reviews which promise "a closer look" but deliver nothing but a frustrating, out of focus, image.

There is usually nothing of interest in a closer look of the bottom of a hard drive's PCB. The only really interesting stuff is on the component side, and this is only useful if the IC part markings are identifiable. There is no useful information to be gleaned from a black square.

Would the reviewers please consider posting high resolution images of these PCBs? I find that a CCD scanner (not CIS scanner -- it does not have "depth") is the ideal way to get a perfect image with zero effort. There is no setup required, no fiddling with lighting or zoom settings. Just stick the PCB on the platen and press "scan".

Here are some examples:

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewforum.php?f=112

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=726

I have an electronics background. I often see interesting features on PCBs which are not mentioned in manufacturers' tech docs or in their marketing blurbs. For example, I doubt that many people (or reviewers) are aware that many hard drive PCBs incorporate barometric pressure sensors. I've even seen one review (at another site) where the reviewer didn't realise that he was holding a helium drive (because Seagate's literature didn't tell him).

Thanks for the suggestion! Will definitely do a scan for future reviews.

I normally identify the components with visible markings in the subsequent paragraph. If I don't list it, it means it's not clearly visible.

Thanks for the suggestion as well! Also, welcome to the community!

I'll try it for future reviews as well :P Also updated a couple of recent SSDs with hopefully clearer pictures.